Monday, March 2, 2015

I'm Not Judging You (But I'm Judging You)

I love how we, as a whole, say this to people--when deep down we are guilty in some way of doing this.  Or am I really the only one?  Really?  Maybe I don't judge my family or friends--perhaps it's the girls I date, or don't, as it were.

Call it shallow.

I may openly support your "appreciation", as you'd call it, for Britney Spears but, internally, I'm sitting across from you trying to fathom how you could possibly call her a musician, let alone an artist. Chances are, we're not going on a second date.  The same could be said for you sitting opposite me. I once dated a girl who didn't just dislike country music, she loathed it.  Not to mention her very vocal opinions against metal music.  I chalked it up to her not being eclectic enough--judgement.

Please don't be offended if we are out to eat and you order a Bud Light, Budweiser, or Coors Light and I interject, asking if you would prefer a Poland Spring or Pellegrino. It's not that I'm cheap, but your palette is.  And I would rather pay for your true enjoyment of what you're asking for.  Maybe you like domestic water-tasting lagers--I won't judge, but there probably won't be a second date...because I'm judging.

If you can't relate to cinematic art such as Freeway, Swimming With Sharks or Kill Me Later, don't expect me to comprehend your excitement over Transformers, anything with 'Fast' or 'Furious' in the title, or--lord, help me--Titanic.  We may go on a second date because I'll over-analyze the fact that I'm being a bit too critical, or to appease my friends who want me to give you a second chance.  I'll try and listen to you explain how movies resonate differently with people.  While you're doing this, though, I'm no longer listening to your case.  I'm fixated on how Titanic can resonate on any level, especially from a carpentry standpoint.  Anyone knows they both could have fit on that bloody door.  It's not romantic or chivalrous; it's idiocy, to say the least.  No third date.

Maybe you don't this.  I really could be the only one.  Maybe I'm talking out my ass.  Maybe you're reading this and can't believe how judgmental I can be over someone's musical or film interests or beverage choices.  There will be no first or second dates for us, either.  You're judging me for judging them.

JenG

No comments:

Post a Comment