Friday, February 6, 2015

I Have A Vagina And Sometimes I Use It

Recently, Mount Holyoke College in Massachusetts decided to cancel a performance of Eve Ensler's "The Vagina Monologues" on their campus, citing that, "The play is problematic because it is not inclusive of trans-women."

I'm disappointed by this decision, as I never saw this piece as discriminatory. I always viewed it as an eye-opener, to bring awareness to the physical and sexual violence that women may have encountered at some point in their life. The atrocities do happen. Ensler created a place where these stories could and would resonate, that one could relate to in some way; perhaps not feel isolated or ashamed, myself included. In 2008, I was in the middle of another chapter in my academic career. Ensler brought TVM to the Superdome for the 10th anniversary of V-day. Along with Ensler, Jennifer Beals, Jane Fonda, and so many others performed each piece for the crowd, including transgender activist and woman Calpernia Addams. It was truly a night to remember. I was in awe listening to the words. It wasn't until the cab ride back to campus that I could, unfortunately, truly relate to the works spoken on that stage. How ironic. Ensler herself spoke to TIME Magazine and said, "In the play, I never defined a woman as a person with a vagina."

By closing one door to try and open another, you lose sight of the purpose. I will always support and stand with a community that is overlooked or unheard. I will always try to help those that need it with a shoulder to cry on, an ear for listening, a hug when one feels weak, or a voice when one needs to be heard. I cannot understand one community trying to silence another. Ensler was merely trying to bring awareness to situations. There are some experiences I will never truly be able to relate to. I cannot ever truly relate to dilating my new vagina like a trans woman can, nor would a trans woman be able to understand the horror and embarrassment of finding out that that pool of blood in my bed was the result of my first menstruation. It is in these differences, however, that we can recognize our individuality and create more understanding of said individualities.

To separate ourselves even more from silence and oppression, which is what Ensler had set out not to do, only deepens the problem. We now further alienate ourselves from the community we are trying to align ourselves with. We must be careful that in seeking an allied front we are not creating a new enemy.


~JenG

No comments:

Post a Comment